Tuesday, August 24, 2021

500 Years By Rhonda Head

 


500 Years

By

Rhonda Head

Written by

Chrissie Sheppard

 

I have listened to this latest release from Rhonda Head several times now, and each time I listen it makes me cry, the words are so powerful, yet so true. Rhonda is a Mezzo-Soprano from Opaskwayak Cree Nation, and the song 500 Years was written about her mother’s experience in the residential system in Canada, and is dedicated to those who didn’t make it home.

This is a piece she and her family should be very proud of, the story she tells in song is true, about the past, but listening to it made me ask myself how much has really changed since then, have we learnt from the past? I only wish and hope the answer is yes.

500 Years by Rhonda Head is a beautiful creation, with haunting lyrics that will remain with you throughout your day, and really does deserve to be a big hit for the artist.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment